Zat: the hidden trails
Possibly the least popular valley in the Occidental part of the High Atlas , the Zat valley unfolds
some extraordinary cultural and natural treasures of immense importance to the area’s history. A moderate three days trip is an insight into the hidden valleys and pastures hosts of Morocco’s biggest rock carving site, Yaggour.
- Day 1 : transfer from Marrakech via Tirhdouine
- Day 2 : explore plateau Yagour
- Day 3 : walk over to Ansal
- Day 4 : walk up to the Zat valley
- Day 5 : transfer back to Marrakech- visit the red city.
- Truly wild experience of the Zat valley
- Unique encounters with the local Berber population
- Study 4,000-year-old rock carvings on the Yagour plateau
- Fantastic nature and splendid views of the High Atlas
- A fully bonded Responsible aiming to improve your experience.
On these holidays you spend the first and last night in a simple riad-style hotel in Marrakech. The five mountain nights are spent in the AAZ gîtes.
- In Marrakech : very comfortable riad-style hotel with sumptuous feel proper to central Medina hotel.
- In the Atlas zat valley :AAZ Gîtes : fully under the local association control and benefit. Built traditionally and affording essential amenities for comfortable stay and enjoy your treks, providing showers, toilets and dorm-like rooms and looked after by cooks creating amazing moroccan dishes.
The one week price is per adult and includes:
- Six days of guided walking with our guide, plus a local Berber guide
- Transfers to and from the Zat valley
- One 4×4 transfer to the top of the valley on the first day
- Mule transport of luggage (1 rucksack (15 kgs max per guest) in the Zat valley
- Two nights hotel accommodation in Marrakech (breakfast included)
- Two evening meals in a typical Moroccan restaurant in Marrakech (soft drinks included)
- Full meal board for six days in the Zat valley
- Five nights’ gîte accommodation in the Zat valley, with typical Moroccan dinners
It does not include:
- Airport transfers
- Travel insurance
- Extra days in Marrakech or Essaouira.
Extending your stay
Guest may wish to extend their stay over the weekend after their holiday. Either staying on in Marrakech for a day or two, or taking a private bus or shared taxi for an extended stay in the chilled out coastal town of Essaouira (3.5 hours) to get away from the hussle and bustle of the city. We are more than happy to help you with the arrangements and tips of what to do, where to go and where to stay.